Sunday, April 17, 2011

Storyboard thumbnails all night long,

It is midnight on Saturday.  I have spent the entire night on the couch drawing thumbnails for the first scene of the short film we are producing.  I am using sketchbook pro for the iPad to draw now.  I have practiced on it for a couple of days and am getting very familiar with it.  It has a little bit of a learning curve but there a ton of videos and websites that have tips and tutorials.  If you google any program with the word tutorial after it, you can learn just about anything without paying for a class. 

I woke up today with the intention of blazing through this work, but it has not happened like that.  Every time I try to sit down and get in a groove, something inevitably comes up.  I have to deposit money to pay a bill cause its due on monday morning or we are out of something and I have to run out to the grocery store.  I am not complaining, it's just it takes me a little while before I can get my creative juices flowing and constant interruption really messes me up.  I have to find a better way to be more efficient with stuff I do control like my daily chores. 

So after finally getting to it, the most I could get through was one scene.  
I think the problem lies in so many different combinations of shots to tell the story.  I am still trying to figure out the tone and pacing of this film.  I guess every filmmaker goes through this, at least I hope they do.  I have no formal training in filmmaking.  Everything I have learned comes from endless hours of reading books, watching interviews with filmmakers I respect and sitting through movies with the director's commentaries on.  

Tomorrow I will try and get another scene done.  I want to try and have as many thumbnails done before Rodney comes by the studio on Tuesday afternoon and I have to work the bar Monday night so I won't have much time.  Oh and did I mention the kids are off from school this week. 

There is a laundry list of stuff to do for this film and it's only a short. I can't imagine what the work load will be when we get to make a feature, but that is a long time away. 

Pabs

No comments:

Post a Comment