Thursday, June 9, 2011

From The Vault: Vita is Video Games

 

I was digging through the vault again and I came across this logo that I created a couple of years ago.  It was part of an idea I had for producing a podcast on video games.  My good friend Pete Vita is a master when it comes to knowing the inside scoop on the industry.  I was looking for something to make that would hone my skills at all around production of content.   





I remember taking this picture at my job one night as I hung out with Pete.  I was talking about the idea of creating this podcast based on him and his knowledge of video games.  of course he said Yes. I literally snapped this pic when he agreed. 








I sent the pic over to my good friend Rod, a great artist, he runs his own blog The satchel of life, go check out out if you haven't yet, it is hysterical. 

On the left you'll see the illustration he made.  I brought it into Adobe illustrator and made a vector drawing out of it.  There I made the titles and imported all of that into Photoshop for color purposes. 




From there it was pretty easy to import all of that into either Motion or After Effects.  I used them both on a regular basis but recently I have proffered After Effect.  I was able to keep everything on it's own layer.  I made the music up in Garageband, they offer of array of sounds that you can throw on a timeline and just try different  stuff.  it was a fun little program to mess with.  I have no musical inclination and it helped me out a lot.  


I figured why not use all the characters from video games we played as kids, so it was just googling the names of them and bringing them into Photoshop and basically creating a green screen around them and then keying it out in After Effects where you can move everything around.
I would have liked to see this take off.  I thought it had a lot of potential, especially with how popular video games are and how powerful a marketing tool social media is.  Oh well.  I can say I did learn a lot from this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment